Sometimes we all struggle at work. What ever job we do, however much we love it and however interesting we find it, certain aspects of our roles can be hard. Today I had the farrier to shoe the horses and I thought ‘I would love that job’. When the weather is great outdoor jobs seem to be perfect to me.
As we go through life we tend to realise that no job is perfect. Here are 5 top problems relating to work and how to solve them…
1) Boredom – If you get bored with a task it is often because it is repetitive. To cure this problem think of a way to vary your task. It may be that in practical terms you have to carry out the task in the same way but try thinking about it differently. Today at work, for example, I had to revise some legal material for delivering training. My mind became dull and tired. I decided I needed a different approach so I actually pretended I was delivering the training as I read. This worked wonders.
2) Physical pain – Whether your job is physical or not you may suffer with aches and pains. The more you try to ignore them the more they occupy your mind.Try allowing your body a little time, have regular breaks. Stand or sit in an upright position for a few minutes every hour and scan through your body parts from head to toe. Notice areas of comfort and discomfort and allow your attention to hover on the areas of discomfort. Examine the feeling, hold it in your awareness. Before you know it your mind will have wandered onto something else and the tension in your body that was causing the pain will have been released.
3) Lack of confidence – In certain situations you will know that you don’t feel very well equipped to deal with a particular task. When you try to avoid these situations they seem to keep finding you again and again! Rather than spending your time in fear of these situations make a decision to actually seek them out. The greater your experience and the more times you deal with the particular type of work the better you will get at it. You can train yourself to be the expert through practice.
4) You feel lost at sea – If you feel like you don’t know what you are doing then make every one your teacher. Ask others for advice. Often when you ask others questions, how ever silly you feel, you will find that they too struggle with the same issue. If not you are onto a winner and they will be able to help you out. When people know their stuff they are usually more than happy to share it with others.
5) The Wrath Of Others – When our colleagues become stressed and tired they can become difficult to deal with. Remember two things. Firstly, keep in mind what has led to their difficult way of being. By understanding the background to a situation, being empathetic becomes much easier. Secondly, remember that you can’t change others but you can change how you react to them.
Learning to be mindful through meditation can help so so much with all of these situations. Come on a Revitalise Day to see how you can train your brain to deal with all sorts of difficulties that life throws at you.