We are so often told of the health benefits of fish. It is high in protein, low in calories and full of omega 3 which gives us a healthy body. Eating at least two portions a week gets you on track to benefit from all that fish has to offer. Eating the real thing is still thought to be better than taking supplements so make it part of your diet. Here are the top 10 reasons to get more fish into your diet!
1) It prevents heart disease. A Danish study of 49,000 women found that women who ate little to no fish had 50 percent more heart problems than those who ate fish at least once per week.
2) It improves your memory. Research has shown that people who eat baked or boiled fish have larger brains and larger cells in the areas of the brain responsible for memory and learning.
3) It Improves our Skin and Hair. The omega-3s in fish are the type of healthy fat to get your hair shine and your skin glowing.
4) It can ease Depression. Studies have found that when taken along with prescription antidepressant medications, the omega-3s in fish are more effective at treating depression that just prescription medication alone.
5) It can help with brain development. The EFA omega-3 found in salmon and other nutrient-rich fish are essential nutrients for children because they contribute to brain development.
6) It can give us a much needed dose of Vitamin D. Saltwater fish is a source of vitamin D, which scientists say can help ward off disease, promote bone health, and with the help of the omega-3s in fish it can prevent cognitive decline.
Try to get inventive with your fish. There are so many different types and different ways to cook it or serve it. Some of the simple ones are the best…with salads, in fishcakes with mash, on a bed of leaves…the possibilities are endless.