I have a bit of a cold at the moment and whilst I was sitting at my computer this morning things felt a bit of a challenge and I knew I had a long time to go!
I almost felt like getting back into bed which is very unlike me. A survival plan was needed!
I knew I needed to look after myself but rather than call in sick I stuck to a few basics to get me back on form.
It totally worked, I survived the day, I even enjoyed it!
So here are 5 top tips to get you through those tough days when sitting at a desk seems soooo difficult!
1) Have plenty of fluids. I made sure I had plenty of drinks. I drank hot water with lemon and a drop of agave syrup added for energy. The odd break from my screen whilst I made the drink did me good too.
2) Eat healthy and nutritious food to keep your energy levels up. I made sure that I ate properly. I added seeds to my rice pops and fruit this morning for a bit of extra protein. At lunch time I had an avocado and spinach salad with some left over potatoes, dressed with flaxseed oil, it was full of goodness and energy. I was fuelled for better performance!
3) Build in mini moments of mindfulness. In between work I allowed myself a minute of closed eye every now and then and just focussed on my breathing for a minute. It is amazing how refreshing even a minute of this can be. It made the world of difference to my focus and concentration.
4) Use your breath to energise. By making sure you are breathing deeply you can make so much difference to how you feel. Today I did this exercise…breath in for the count of 4, hold it for 4, breath out for the count of 4 and then hold it for 4. I repeated this a few times every now and again for a quick boost!
5) Make your lunch break interesting. I met my lovely friend Rachael for a coffee on my lunch break. The caffeine boost was a help and the interesting chatter really kept me in the moment and broke my day up. I felt so much more motivated when I got back.
So really it all came down to looking after myself but not by taking pills or calling in sick.
Sometimes when we feel out of sorts it is easy to get consumed by the negatives. By turning your mind to the positive actions you can take to feel better life certainly seems a little lighter!
Come on a Revitalise sessions to see how mindfulness can get you through other difficult situations.