Making healthy diet choices isn’t always easy. Buying nice fresh vegetables is definitely the way forward. Vegetables are so good for us, bursting with everything we need. Getting what is in season usually means it is cheaper and more delicious.
This week I have been eating asparagus because it seems to be about everywhere. Today I had steamed asparagus, prawns and broccoli for my lunch. It was really delicious and so quick and easy to prepare. It got me thinking about the benefits of steaming.
Here are 5 top reasons to steam…
1) When you steam you don’t need any fat to cook with. This is great if you are trying to loose a few pounds, it massively reduces your calorie intake.
2) When you steam your food it retains all of it’s nutrients, even when you boil many are lost in the water.
3) Food looks amazing, fresh and bright when it is steamed. It keeps it’s structure and really looks appetising. Take a mindful moment to appreciate your meal before you start to eat.
4) It is really quick to steam. Today I boiled the kettle, tipped the hot water into the pan and put the prawns in the steamer from frozen for 5 minutes. I added the vegetables with just a couple of minutes to go and it was perfect. This also provides 5 minutes where you have the perfect opportunity to sit and focus on your breath. This short break in your day can make so much difference to your state of mind. Give it a go.
5) When you steam you can cook lots of things together and this saves energy. Great for you and great for the planet!
When you make good food and eat well you really are left with a great feeling. Rather than feeling pangs of guilt about your last meal or snack you can simply enjoy the experience. I love to know I am nourishing my body. It really is a great start to a healthy lifestyle if you can make everything you eat something that will give you nutritional benefit. Start that challenge today and see how you feel. You will probably drop a few pounds too.
On a Revitalise Day the food is really healthy and amazingly delicious. Cooked on site just before you eat, you can be assured of a really fresh meal full of goodness. You will leave inspired to make your meals as nutritious as you can. Our retreats are held in a beautiful Leicestershire village and they offer a great break from everyday life. Come and see what else mindfulness could offer you.