Yesterday I ran a session at a local school for a group of girls who wanted to improve their memory skills. With tests and exams on the horizon and a hectic schedule this seemed like the perfect opportunity to help them in their quest!
So we did one of my favourite brain training exercises. It is a great one for those with a busy mind.
If you fancy a try then set a timer for 2 or 3 minutes – here is what to do…
1) Sit upright with a straight back and close your eyes.
2) Put your hands on your tummy so that you can feel the rising and falling sensation.
3) Push all of the air out so your tummy goes flat and feel your tummy fill up again.
4) When you have got used to the sensation of the rising and falling then start to count each out breath. Count down from 5 and when you get to 1 go back to 5 and start again.
5) After a few rounds give yourself some time off – let your mind do whatever it wants.
6) When the timer goes off slowly bring yourself back to the real world and open your eyes in your own time!
After a few sessions of practise you may feel that your mind wanders less and that you are more able to focus on the here and now easily.
If you feel more focussed then your are so much more likely to remember things because you perceive them more clearly and they establish a place in your memory – much more so than if you were distracted.
Simple but amazing!
For more brain training tools come on a Revitalise Session!