Do you find your mind jumping from thought to thought? Do you have trouble keeping your mind where you want it to be? Sometimes you have just started a job and the phone rings, the door bell goes, you get an email you have been looking out for and no matter how determined you are you can’t resist.
When these sort of distractions try for our attention the force of pull can be really strong. It an almost be as though we have no choice. No freewill. This in turn can lead to real frustration.
The answer is to train you brain. Here is a great way to get started.
1) Chose an object that has no associations for you. A pebble can be a really good choice.
2) Focus all of your attention on the pebble/other object for five seconds.
3) Close your eyes for five seconds.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 five times as often as you can.
5) When you are able to focus all of your attention for 5 seconds then increase the focus sessions to 10 seconds. Also increase the time you have your eyes closed for to make sure your mind gets adequate rest time.
The more often you do this exercise the better your level of attention will be. You will notice that you are able to apply this increased ability to focus in daily life very quickly.
Learn more mindful brain training techniques by booking on to a Revitalise Day.