Mindfulness is absolutely amazing for weight loss.
If you are trying to shed a few pounds see if this rings a bell…
You get a craving for a chocolate bar/packet of crisps/beer and you really struggle to think about anything else until you have had one.
The more you try and resist this thought the stronger and stronger you may feel the need to give in.
Once you have had it you feel guilty about it.
You vow not to eat anything else for ages to make up for it.
You wait so long to eat that you are starving and then overeat at your next meal.
You don’t loose any weight.
You feel down and fed up with yourself.
So fancy breaking this vicious cycle that prevents you loosing weight? Try these top mindful tips.
1) Don’t starve yourself. This will only confuse things. You want to recognise genuine hunger and notice that this is different to a simple want to eat. If you starve yourself you are so likely to overeat next time you do.
2) Each time you feel hungry have a glass of water. Often we mistake thirst for hunger so this will help you to check out whether the hunger message is genuine. Really learn to explore that sensation and see whether you really do need to eat.
3) Try to make everything you eat of good nutritional value. Fruit and Veg are the most obvious way to go with this. I love to make a big pan of vegetable soup so that there is always a healthy and nutritious option if I get that hunger pang. I simply chop whatever veg is in the fridge, add a tin of tomatoes and water and then cook until the veg is soft. Then I use the stick blender to wiz it up. Once you have a supply it is a great alternative when you find yourself longingly looking in the fridge for something to satisfy you.
4) When you do eat enjoy it to the full. Chew slowly and taste every mouthful. If it is over too quickly you will just want more.
5) Imagine your stomach is the size of an orange and as you eat picture this filling up. This will really help to stop you from eating too much. It is amazing what a bit of visualisation can do!
6) Always go and brush your teeth after a meal. The aftertaste of food can often trigger a craving for more. If you brush your teeth you are much less likely to give in to a craving for more. It will also be great dental hygiene!
On a Revitalise Day you experience some amazing healthy food that will really inspire you to make everything you eat delicious and healthy. Taking some time to think through your food choices can make all the difference to your continued commitment to a healthy diet and lifestyle. Through meditation techniques you will also learn to train your brain so that you can chose to focus on whatever you chose. This will stop you becoming obsessed with food when it is the last thing you want to be thinking about.