I often feel anxiety first thing the morning. I sleep really well but when I wake I often feel a tightness in my chest and my mind has a tendency to race. Sound familiar? We all experience anxiety at some level and that is completely normal but at times it can get out of control.
If you feel you could benefit from getting your levels of anxiety under control try this simple meditation….
1) Sit upright in a chair with your spine nice and straight.
2) Take some deep breaths and then let your breathing return to normal as you close your eyes.
3) Focus your attention on your breath. Observe your breath, don’t interfere with it.
4) Each time your mind wanders notice this and then label the distraction as either a thought or a feeling.
5) Return to focusing on your breath.
This exercise is great for all sorts of reasons. Scientists have done research on those using this exercise every day for 8 weeks and have found that it can reduce the intensity of our emotions by 50%. By labelling our emotions in this non personal way we are observing our emotions rather than getting caught up in them.
When we learn to observe our emotions we avoid getting caught up in lots of mental chatter and so our minds are free to think about the here and now, to make clear decisions and to enjoy life. Perfect.
So give it a try and see how much difference it makes for you. When you are out and about and you get distracted by thoughts you can label in exactly the same way and it will really help you to keep focussed on what you are doing.
When you are focussed you get so much more done and you enjoy life so much more. It really is a life changer.