Today the men in my life went to get their locks tidied up. We got up early and headed to town so that we could beat the queue that always forms for our favourite mens hairdresser, Joe.
As they sat and had their hair cut I could see that Noah was delighted to have his Daddy sitting next to him having the same thing done. He loved it. Martyn chattered away to his hair dresser. I did notice that after they had both simply sat still for the cut they were definitely more relaxed.
Whilst we were still in town I called in at another hairdressers to see my friend Kate who I knew was having her hair highlighted. She was in there for hours because she has a colour so I knew she would appreciate a little visit!
Kate is a very busy working mum of two. For her the opportunity to sit down for a couple of hours with a magazine and to have someone bring her cups of tea is a real luxury, a real chance to chill out.
Pre mindfulness I used to find the whole hairdresser experience a bit of a frustrating waste of time. I didn’t use to relax enough to get any enjoyment out of my time there. I just wanted to get it done and get out.
Now I am more mindful I LOVE a trip to the hairdressers.
A visit to the hairdressers is one of those things that you can get so much more out of if you do it mindfully. Here are some top tips to get the most out of it…
1) Switch off your phone when you enter the salon. By doing this you can dedicate the time that you are in there to yourself. Once you are free from contact with the outside world you can spend a small amount of time focussing just on you, something most of us rarely manage.
2) Be present with each experience fully. As you have your hair washed enjoy the warmth of the water, the smell of the products they use, the massage to your head as you sit back. Allow yourself to be pampered.
3) If you are offered a drink commit to experiencing every mouthful. Smell it, feel the temperature of it, sip slowly and savour. You are sitting with nothing else to do, it really is the perfect opportunity!
4) If you use the time to read then do this mindfully. So often in life if we start to read then something else grabs for our attention or we are so preoccupied from the start that we don’t really take it in. Whilst you have this time to simply be pick an article and really focus on paying attention to it and taking in the meaning.
5) If you like to chat then make a decision to be genuinely interested in your hairdresser. You will be amazed at the interesting and enjoyable conversation you have when you really listen and ask questions.
6) If you are pleased with the hair cut then make sure your hairdresser knows. If you thank someone and it is really genuine then they will appreciate it so much and you will feel great for having taken the time to appreciate some one else’s effort.
Mindfulness is great because it isn’t all about sitting to meditate. Often just taking more notice of what you are doing has a relaxing and calming effect.
If you would like more top tips to make your life more mindful then book a Revitalise Session and see how to love your life even more.