Today I was delivering a Resilience session focussed on relationships. I always seek to give real life examples when I describe the situations I am discussing and today I realised how Christmas time is perhaps the perfect opportunity to pay our relationships a bit more attention.
So here are my top 5 relationship rules…
1) Appreciate your friends for what they bring into your life. Every friend brings something different and if you can notice what each friend means to you then you will make the most of your time with them.
2) Take your thoughts to the nice things you can do for your friends. This way you get past worries and difficult times and enjoy the feelings that come with kindness.
3) Patience is key. When you have a conversation, or even receive a message from a friend, listen properly and always think how you want to respond for a while. This will help you to remain caring and also avoid regret that comes along with snap decisions and comments.
4) Take the time just to say ‘hi’ every now and then. This costs nothing and your friends will know you are thinking of them. You will both end up with a smile on your face.
5) Finally, look after yourself. By taking a little time each day to Meditate you will create the calm and clear thinking mind that you need to be able to give to others.
If you feel that you could do with a helping hand then Mindfulness Meditation could be a great start. Book onto a session soon and see the amazing things that a simple meditation could train your mind to do.